Taylorcraft Daze

The history, diary, thoughts, and opinions of an Iowa Taylocraft pilot. The postings will be heavy in the areas of flying Taylorcraft Aircraft, Formation Flying, Flights throughout the Great United States, and other flying activities.

Thursday, December 29, 2005

SNOWSHOEING IN THE GREAT WHITE IS LOTS OF FUN AND GOOD EXERCISE.

Before all the quality snow melts, I wanted to try out my new Alaskan Outfitter Snowshoes. This afternoon I took a 1:30 hike on the 2.6 mile Liberty Nature Trail. I am glad that I purchased the 10" X 36" size rated at 200 pounds plus as gliding on the snow was easy. Things were going so well that I decided to cut through the wooded area along the stream. After a bit of practice avoiding brush was not difficult to do. The grips on the bottom of the boot bindings provided great traction and support. I was able to observe a great deal of Whitetail Deer sign including: tracks, scat, beds, rubs, and scrapes. The snow had a hard crust and I was making lots of noise so I failed to come upon any deer unawares. The temperature was 33 degrees and the sky was overcast. I was lightly dressed which was a good thing. Snowshoeing seems to add half again the time to your normal walking speed. However, I believe that with practice and conditioning that time could be reduced.

1 Comments:

At Thu Dec 29, 08:57:00 PM 2005, Blogger aviationgeek said...

Lee,
Sounds like your snowshoes were a good buy! Glad to see your Blogger is working for you.

- Casey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home